Tuesday, September 19, 2017

What I would need to see if Pet Sematary ever got a reboot?

 What I would need to see if Pet Sematary ever got a reboot? 
I know, I know...don't fix what isn't broken. Trust me, I am a HUGE Pet Sematary fan. I have a Church tattoo, have met the cast and crew, supported the killer documentary based off the production of this movie, have watched it countless times, as well as re-read the novel over and over again. Still, after the latest IT reboot/film version I decided for fun to see what exactly I would need to see if there was ever an update to this King classic...

Louis Creed played by Matt Bomer
- Trust me, I'm the first to admit the casting in the original movie was 100% some of the best for any Stephen King adaption. Still, for just the sake of this post I thought a little outside the box. For Luis we're looking for a handsome guy in his mid to late 30's. I feel Mr. Bomer would be perfect to fill the shoes of the father who allows his grief to make a series of fatal choices. Not only is he a solid actor, he also I think could bring some really great emotion as the grieving Dr. Creed, mostly at the end of the film.

Rachel Creed played by Michelle Williams 
- I've always really liked her. She's about the right age, beautiful, and I think would play the perfect Rachel. Here we have a wife/mother who has some serious baggage behind her. I love the backstory behind her sister Zelda, her PTSD following her death, as well as the strain between her husband and wealthy parents. I could see her really bringing some great talent to the table, most of all in the last half when we find her now as a mother who has lost her young son. There are tons of great actresses, but I feel Williams could honestly show how heartbreaking and lost a parent would feel after such an awful loss. 

Victor Pascow played by Eamon Farren 
- Victor Pascow is basically the poster boy for this film. I think Eamon who is an up and coming actor who's shown some serious talent in the past few years would be the perfect choice as the ghost who returns to warn Luis. First off he's thin, and I think with the right makeup artist, they could truly transform him into the perfect rotting spirit. In fact Eamon was one of the first people who came to mind when I was asked who I could see playing roles in the remake. 

Jud Crandall played by Jeff Bridges
- Nobody will ever replace the late Fred Gwynne. He captured the towering old man who originally started this terrible chain of events with good intentions. I think Bridges could pull off the thick Maine accent, as well as being the towering friendly old man that Luis sees not just as a friend but a father figure as well. I truly think this film needs great actors like the original and that's the only way it could be pulled off.

Jennifer Lynch directs.
- I ADORE Jennifer. Between Boxing Helena, and Chained she's one serious kick ass female director. I think what made the original so special in my eyes was the fact that a female director too the wheel. I feel in keeping with tradition, having another female director take over would be perfect. Jennifer can capture beauty in the strangest of places as well as keeping the audience in a constant sense of unease. With her visual eye she would be perfect to take on this film. 

Practical effects!
- The biggest complaint I heard about the IT reboot/film version was the fact that there was a little too much CGI. I understand sometimes in today's age it's cheaper and can pull off things that can't be possible with regular practical effects. Still, this movie honestly besides maybe two shots could still remain practical. I think the biggest challenge would be Gage, and maybe some stuff in the woods. Besides that gore it the fuck up!

Stephen King cameo!
- What's a King movie without a cameo. Maybe instead of the priest have him play a fellow doctor who works beside Creed, maybe a character in flashbacks, or even the truck driver who runs poor Gage down!

Keep it graphic like the book.
- The original 1989 film was perfect with sticking as close to the book as they could. I understand there is some stuff they couldn't do, but why to pull any stops with this time. I honestly would go nuts. Most of all as disturbing as this sounds with Gage's aftermath with the accident as well as the deaths that follow.

Good child actors.
- They truly found lighting in a fucking bottle with the young actor who played Gage in 1989. I mean honestly a two year old did like 80% of that shit and was terrifying. It would be hard but if once searched long enough I think they could find the perfect child to pull this very disturbing role off.

The Ramones playing at the end.
- I think it would be a perfect nod to the original as well as the novel if they had the classic theme song by The Ramones play. I mean I know I would be smiling like a complete idiot if I was sitting in the audience and heard it blasting.

Film it in Maine
- What made this movie truly work was the fact that King insisted that it was filmed up in Maine. Hollywood can't capture the beauty of this state and I truly believe going back there would showcase the overall feel this story holds.

Zelda
- Aka everyone's worst nightmare. Zelda was one of the scariest things in the entire movie. No CGI here baby. Just get another thin guy to play the part and really show how terrifying she is on the big screen. After seeing IT some of the best parts of the book were shown, why not really play it up. Javier Botet anyone? Hum...

Thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment