Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Staystillreviews' annual Halloween dollar store challenge!!!

Staystillreviews' annual Halloween dollar store challenge!!!

Ah, it's the most wonderful time of the year! Yep, that's right, with autumn just over the horizon, over here at Staystillreviews we're partaking in our annual Halloween dollar store challenge!!! This year my good friend Melissa from Chicago decided to even hit up her local stores to join in on the Halloween fun! So here was our hauls from a week or so ago.

I'll go first...
As always I visit the dollar store a few towns over. It is in a VERY bad neighborhood, and the store is a complete mess, filled with screaming children, unopened boxes, and tons of junk littering the filthy carpets of the aisles. This Dollar store is located between a Chinese buffet, and the DMV. Not a place you wanna go to alone after dark. Still, two weekends ago before I headed up to Maine to watch IT Chapter 2, I was totally feeling fall feels. In my eyes September 1st it's fair game. Give me pumpkin flavored everything, cider, horror movies, foliage, and hoodies. It's Fall ya'll!!! So I decided to head to this little gem of a store, and the one closer to my house. Both aren't anything to write home about, but at each store I spent roughly 10$.

10$ = 10 items.

I'm hoping to hit up a Spirit Halloween or Target soon. But, in keeping with the tradition of the dollar store challenge, I grabbed a basket and walked through the crowded aisles, and began searching for all things spooky!


All things aside, I think I did "well" even though I wasn't crazy impressed. I know it was still early, but these stores usually are fully stocked for Halloween by mid August.

At the stores I got...

These styrofoam orange and black glitter balls I somehow always find myself buying every year. I don't know really why, but I love decorating with these little bastards. They actually do look really good in glasses or bowls for a centerpiece. 

This black rubber rat. I mean why not? Every October I find myself trying to post some "staged" photos to show what I'm watching. Stephen King's Graveyard shift is one of my favorites, and the second I spotted this rat I knew it would be posing along side my VHS copy of that film.

This killer light up skull. I'm a sucker for these cheap pieces of jump that light up for decoration. The tiny batteries sadly don't hold up more than a few hours, but as always look killer being displayed. I have several of these light up decorations in my office!

Speaking of rats, I always try to grab several party favors that are Halloween themed at either dollar stores or party stores for the next month or so. I love tossing these little things (rubber rats, bats, eyeballs, brains, erasers, etc) in care packages or even in my giveaways. There wasn't much to pick from, but these little glow in the dark bag of rats was instant impulse buying at it's finest. 

"Nice work...bone daddy." Yes I'm a complete sucker for anything skeleton. I'm still on the hunt for a full sized one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (get it?) These cheap little hands are perfect for decoration, only complaint...you can't bend the fingers down to have it flip somebody the bird.

I basically love eyeball anything. In the past this store sold killer light up eyeball rings, eyeball pens, eyeball bags. This year, they were seriously lacking in the eyeball department, but I got one of these. I guess it sinks (wow!) if you put it in a glass or bowl. Okay...sure...I also got this weird pumpkin gel thing that I had absolutely no idea what it was...so naturally I threw it in my basket.

This item had me screaming laughing. It's a vampire candle holder. Look.At.It's.Fucking.Face. Could you die?

This actual pretty cool looking bat decoration you can hang. It's pretty big, and reminds me of those old school Halloween decorations I remember vaguely seeing these as a kid. Bringing back all the childhood feels!

Speaking of Halloween feels, I love these tiny little plastic pumpkins. I always grab a package whenever I get a chance. So flipping cute!

See guys I love eyeballs. These are for my dogs. They light up. (aka I really bought them for myself shhhhh...)

I'm a sucker for lights, so I got these tiny adorable leaf lights. I'm a sucker for anything that lights up. You could seriously have plastic dog shit with LED lights inside it and I would totally buy it. 


Hands down favorite purchase between both stores. With AA batteries, these string lights kick so much ass. In fact I have them strung up going across my antique carnival glass. I have zero self control.

Did Stacy buy this simply because it reminded her of Candyman? You be the judge...

I got also a Stranger's Thing coke (didn't even know they sold those, so instantly I needed to grab a few cans, as well as some cheap Halloween candy. I feel it was a successful haul, but I'm looking forward to venturing to other stories in the next few months. Stay tuned kiddos.

Here was Melissa's haul, the below is written by her. From the looks of it, she actually found some really killer stuff!!! Thanks for partaking Melissa! Nothing says Halloween more than buying cheap junk and having an absolute riot doing so!!!


After visiting my local Dollar Tree (where everything’s $1) and Dollar general , I have completed the challenge! First at Dollar tree I found 3 LED solar polar stakes for the garden. I have added them to my cauldron of marigolds. I also got myself a little black glitter owl with guess what, light up eyes. The owls are not what they seem. I found the best cackling light up witch! She laughs at my jokes, and has the worst motion activation on it. 
On to dollar general where I got day of the dead felt garland, light up bats, candy corn, Carmel apple candy corn and the seasonal shaped chocolate bars! The witch by far is the best thing to adore my house.


Thanks Melissa!

So friends, feel free to join the Halloween Dollar Store Challenge and share what treasures you find! Stay tuned for more Halloween fun!!!





















No comments:

Post a Comment