Friday, April 13, 2018

5 reasons why Friday the 13th part 3 was the scariest in the entire series!!!

5 reasons why Friday the 13th part 3 was the scariest in the entire series!!!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone! Over here at Staystillreviews we constantly keep our eyes open whenever we see that glorious date line up at the end of the week. I'm sure I'm not speaking for myself, but ever since I was a kid I feel whenever we get a few Friday the 13th's a year it's basically a holiday. Here it really is amazing to watch on social media as everyone from the horror community celebrates. It's awesome seeing my entire feed get filled with photos of friends having marathons watching their favorite sequels, shops, and small businesses selling killer themed items based off the films, and of course thousands of photos of everyone's favorite Jason. We were lucky this year, not only this past autumn we had a Friday the 13th in October (also the release date to the highly underrated film Happy Death Day) today we get an April 13th which just so happens to be the release date of Friday the 13th The Final Chapter back in 1984. Or as the posters claimed...was Jason's unlucky day. Friday the 13th always means a new horror movie being released good or bad (I believe today Truth Or Dare is coming out...yikes!) So we'll just have to stay tuned for what gem is coming our way July 13th which will sadly be our last Friday the 13th for a very long time. "Sigh..."

So to celebrate over here at Staystillreviews, we're drinking some beers after a juicy Voorhees burger and some Jason fingers, part II playing on VHS in the background...I'm planning on whipping up several Friday the 13th themed posts to honor this very awesome day. 

So to kick things off, here are 5 reasons why I feel Friday the 13th part 3 is the scariest in the series. Part III has been a favorite of mine for years. In fact it usually always lands as my number one choice when it comes to ranking my favorite sequels. I'll never forget when I was little collecting these movies on tape, my mother remarked that one had been released in 3D. Of course dumbass Stacy back when was puzzled even though it's so obvious that part 3 is in 3D. Somehow those credits as well as the cheesy gags such as broomsticks, axe-handles, and popping eyeballs flying towards the camera didn't give my even the slightest clue. As much as this is a fun cheesy riot of a movie, it does have some moments and elements that go unnoticed. It wasn't until I re-watched it this week that I really had to give it the respect it deserves. 

This is a pretty scary movie!
Here are my reasons why...

5) What did Jason really do to Chris?
- I always felt this detail was a little muddled. A few years back (Probably before the events of part 2) while Jason was living in the wilderness, Chris got into an argument with her parents which resulted in her running out and hiding in the woods. Falling asleep beneath a tree, she awakes to hear someone approaching. Here Jason attacks her and drags her across the ground when boom...she wakes up in her own bed and her parents never talk about that night again. Um...what?! I mean it's the third entry in a slasher...but seriously guys? A little re-working and this would have made perfect sense. Have Chris wake up in the woods either covered in blood or bruises and scratches and she runs home. I would of had a whole thing about how the police searched the woods but found nothing. I guess we're supposed to believe that Chris was attacked by Jason and somehow got back home safely? It sounds silly, but I really don't think it was meant to be a dream. I believe Chris was attacked...maybe even raped by Jason and in a trance she wandered back home and her mind blocked out the attack. How she got away is another story. Still this entry showed a much more brutal side of Jason, and we really have to give Chris credit where credit is earned. She held her own (LOVE the scene of her attacking Jason with the knife she pulled out of Debbie, looking like a complete madwoman.) I mean she was able to put that axe mark in his mask and it remains there to this very day!

4) Jason kills a pregnant woman.
- Another unsettling minor factor of part 3 is the little sidetone that was added to the character of Debbie, Chris' best friend. Debbie is the beautiful girlfriend of Andy, and she clearly states twice that she's pregnant. It's been remarked on for years now and both the actress who played Debbie as well as Steve Miner sorta shrugged and said it was just a minor addition to the character to make her more realistic and make her death a little more shocking. Even though if you miss the scene if the van you wouldn't know she's pregnant, it still makes you feel a little uneasy whenever she's stabbed through the back and into the throat. Looks like Jason isn't pro-life!

3) Andy's death.
- Ah Andy, the hunk of part 3. Andy was Debbie's boyfriend and father to her unborn child. He played the stereotypical jock, who brought along his dorky roommate, and basically didn't care about anything else besides partying and getting laid. After a roll in the hammock, Debbie goes to shower, while Andy fucks around walking on his hands. While doing so in the hallway to go fetch a beer for himself, Jason appears out of nowhere and WHACK! Slices Andy right in half. Of course this death was "butchered" by the sensors and if you ever read the novelization based off this movie you'll see how graphic it really was intended. What gets me was, did Jason clean up all the blood before Debbie finishes up with her shower...and how stoned was Chuck and Chili that they didn't hear him? Anyways, what's the true kicker is when Debbie looks up and sees her dead boyfriend hanging above her. Finally the audiences get to see what Andy's corpse looks like and trust me...it isn't pretty.

2) Chris' dream.
- It really took until my latest viewing to see how absolutely terrifying this scene was. Of course it will forever be ruined to me after Matt from Dinosaur Dracula synched it up to the Benny Hill theme. Still, this is really creepy. So mirroring the first movie, Chris is the lone survivor. She crawls into a canoe and floats around in the lake (Because that's what I guess you do after you take down a psychopath and witness everyone get butchered. I don't know about you but my ass would be running all night until I either collapsed or found the sheriff!) She awakes, on edge and more than a little scared, she looks around before she locks eyes with Jason...now unmasked, very much alive, head bleeding. Here we see Jason looking a tad different than part 2 but very terrifying looking. What makes this scary is the pure glee he appears when he sees Chris. Like an animal he starts to claw at the window, before Chris panics and sees she's stuck with nowhere to run. Here Jason bursts through the porch door, and runs to the shore when...Chris blinks and sees nobody is there. The door is fine, and it appears only to be a dream, or her mind playing tricks on her. That's when yet again, paying tribute to the original a very rotting Mrs. Voorhees comes jumping out of the lake, worms and all and pulls Chris underwater. 

1) The news report...
- I'll never forget. It was college, I was with my friends Andy and Nate...and I was pretty wasted. (Ah college, what a wonderful time!) Anyways, we were sitting around talking about this movies when Nate brought up something that truly blew me away that I NEVER once noticed even though I'm sure I've seen Friday the 13th part 3 at least forty or fifty times. Durning the opening when it shows the general store with that real bitch of a wife in curlers knitting watching a news report about the events of part 2. Nate told me if you turn the volume all the way up you hear the news reporter (Director Steve Miner in a cameo) talking about how evidence of cannibalastic mutilations as well as sexual assault to the bodies were found. OH. MY. GOD. This seriously made me look at Jason in a much different light. I mean it makes sense. Jason lives out in the woods like an animal...what does he eat? Also he tends to fancy the ladies a bit. Beyond unsettling. 

Happy Friday the 13th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment