Sunday, March 25, 2018

Why I'll probably die if I ever meet Kyle MacLachlan.

 Why I'll probably die if I ever meet Kyle MacLachlan.

Today's post brought to you by Staystillreviews is about an actor that I've loved for years. In fact, not just an actor, but a winemaker, husband, father, and performer. Somebody who over the last twenty-five plus years has become a cult icon, and is highly recognzable all over the world. A man who I'm proud to have tattooed on me twice (and hopefully a third time someday soon!) An actor that I seriously can't even express into words over how badly I would freak out if I ever met in person. Now this is coming from somebody who has met countless heroes of hers. Who rarely gets star struck, but as crazy and as fan girlish as this sounds, I've even gotten emotional (nerd I know) whenever I talk to people of the possibility of ever meeting. 

This is Kyle MacLachlan. 

I think I can speak for many people that I honestly think I first saw Kyle in the highly underrated film version of The Flintstones. Just a few years after that my best friend introduced me to a world both wonderful and strange. This is a film that truly changed me as a person without sounding too cheesy. It not only has become one of my all time favorite shows, it's allowed me to meet so many amazing people who adore the show just as much as me. In fact, it feels like a second family. This is a show that I've paid tribute to by tattooing twice on me (more on that later) and has become my comfort show. Whenever I'm feeling sick, or down I watch an episode and somehow always feel so much better. This past summer when The Return aired (making television history, twenty-five years in the works.) Honestly witnessing The Return every Sunday this summer floored me. It's a brilliantly written show, that Kyle was truly able to display as Lynch likes to put it what a magician he is. Here he truly showed off his acting chops playing several different characters. In 1989/1990 he was the lovable FBI agent Dale Cooper. The quirky, coffee and pie loving man who looked straight out of a 1950's pulp novel. He followed different beliefs, was noble, and truly stole every scene he was in. This role even earned him a Golden Globe. In the Return, as said above he played several other characters, one which really stood out to be was the evil Mr. C. I will forever get chills seeing his character introduced with his leather jacket, long black hair, dark eyes, and the American Woman remix playing as headlights cut through the darkness as he walked into frame. Sure his role as Dougie was amazing, but it was Mr. C who made the ultimate villain. In episode 8 after the NIN show, when he sat up and opened his eyes, I seriously screamed. Between his bone chilling performance, and heartbreaking/tragic backstory with Audrey and the insane Richard...this was a character who in my eyes was a huge reason why The Return worked. I'm still floored why he lost out on this year's Golden Globe. (I will forever be bitter over this.) I mean come on, he played four plus characters!!! 2017 for me wasn't exactly the greatest year for me, but seeing MacLachlan working with Lynch again was truly amazing. He was a bright star in an overall very dark year.


Of course after witnessing Twin Peaks (I believe I was in 7th or 8th grade when I first originally watched the first season) I shortly afterwards was able to watch his first project he worked on with Lynch which was Blue Velvet. This is a beautiful film, seriously a dark and living breathing piece of artwork. Following, I began to seek out other movies Kyle had done. The Doors, Where The Day Takes You, his awesome episode of Tales From The Crypt, Showgirls (Love this movie, rented it when I was way to young #fuckit), Fire Walk With Me, and one of my personal favorites Trigger Effect (based off the Twilight Zone episode The monsters are due on Maple Street.) This is a perfect example of great storytelling, and Kyle is seriously killer in it. In fact I believe it's on Netflix and I can't urge enough people to check out ASAP! Kyle has worked in countless television shows and films, but I believe his most iconic and memorable role will be playing Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks. People have been making artwork, getting tattoos, and dressing up as this character for years. It's such a part of history and I don't think anyone could have played Cooper as great as Kyle did. As said before, Kyle looked like the boy next door...had he lived in a basement. He's classical handsome, but something about him is dark, classic, and amazing. 


In 2014 I wanted to pay tribute to Kyle and Twin Peaks by having my tattoo artist and friend Shane Murphy make a gorgeous piece of Cooper surrounded by coffee and pie on the back of my leg. This past October to pay tribute to how truly breathtaking, and amazing The Return was...I got my favorite character Kyle played this time around. Mr. C. I will forever adore how creepy he played his role, taking our beloved special agent, and turning into one of the scariest villains to appear on screen this year. 


I hope someday I can find the room on my body to get Kyle tattooed on me again (I LOVE the shot of him with the doppelgänger eyes on fire in the black lodge!) In fact this past fall when I met Derek Mears at a horror convention I gushed over how iconic and amazing the arm wrestling scene was between Kyle and him. Truly amazing. 


I follow Kyle on social media, and find him hilarious, as well as charming. I really need to get into Portlandia, he seems like a riot on it! Watching him work with Dern and Lynch again, was as if no time had passed at all. Between my second tattoo, I've also gotten artwork based off him from The Return, and have begun collecting as many Twin Peaks pieces as possible for my growing collection. One thing I know I need is to buy a bottle of his Pursued By Bear wine. Kyle started this wine line years ago, and from the people I've talked to who have sampled it said it's amazing! I'm planning on hopefully ordering a bottle for myself and my sister soon to try. I've also heard he's made coffee before which is beyond amazing. I mean come on, it's Agent Cooper here!


I've been hoping to someday attend one of those Twin Peaks festivals that are held across the country. Just the thought of seeing the filming locations, meeting fellow Twin Peaks fans (who are not only a riot, but amazing, I could seriously talk about this show all day to people. I mean I love whenever a friend of mine gets into it and discovers how amazing it is! My friend Melissa even got a killer Twin Peaks sleeve and even got me Sheryl Lee's autograph a few years ago!) But just the idea of meeting somebody from this show floors me. My friend Jeanette got me Sherilyn Fenn's autograph a few years back (She's another one if I ever met I think I would break down crying. I adore her and she's my favorite actress.) and Dana Ashbrook sent me a video once (He was in the first Waxwork and heard that I was trying to get the movie on blu-ray at the time.) Besides Derek Mears I don't think I've met anyone else. (I could be forgetting someone. I follow 90% of the entire cast both from the original and The Return and have received some comments and messages from them but that's really it.) but just the very thought of ever meeting Fenn or MacLachlan sends major nerd chills down my spine. Mostly with MacLachlan. He's liked comments of mine before as well as photos (the one of my tattoos made my day), and re-posted my Twin Peaks Christmas tree on Twitter...but the thought of ever meeting him face to face makes me want to cry like a complete idiot.

In fact my heart broke when I learned he was in NJ this past summer selling his wine. It was so last second I was unable to go. I know he tours around the country every once in awhile promoting his wine line, and I can only hope and pray he'll appear either in Boston or New York. I would travel hours for this man, and I'm still kicking myself I didn't say YOLO when he came to NJ. I really hope since The Return, he'll appear somewhere. I know Fenn has, which I've been dying to meet. But the actual thought of meeting Kyle...I'll admit like a total loser, I'm near nears even typing about. I really don't think I could even get into words how much he means to me, and how much comfort I've taken from Twin Peaks. On my bucket list, I've wanted to meet him, buy a bottle of his wine, hug him, and get him to sign one of my tattoos. 

So in closing, you now all know what a total psycho I am. I love Kyle and will probably ugly cry and have snot all over my face if I'm ever lucky enough to meet him. 

Kyle, thank you for everything. You are a damn fine hero of mine!

Love ya!






No comments:

Post a Comment