Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Kiss 1988




Back in October of 2009, I went into Boston for Coolidge Corner Theater’s annual all night Halloween marathon in which the double-bill was going to be one of my personal favorites Night Of The Creeps and 1988's The Blob. Just to capture the spirit of this 1980's horror fest, they found an original print of the trailer for 1988's The Kiss. It had so much 80's in that little one minute trailer, it leaked on the floor.

It wasn't until this past fall I made the very interesting adventure with my friend Nate to travel up to New Hampshire to visit Ruth, an 80 year old woman who owns this barn in the middle of nowhere where she sells thousands upon thousands of VHS tapes for cheap. (I can't make this stuff up) during one of my many tape binges, I discovered the VHS copy for The Kiss. I of course had to get it.

Shortly after I decided to dust off my trustworthy VCR and pop in this hidden gem.

The Kiss Is about Hillary, a happily married woman who lives with her husband Jack, and teenage daughter Amy. On the day of Amy's Confirmation, Hillary receives a very upsetting call. In utter panic she runs out attempting to find a way to protect her family when she's suddenly killed in a gruesome traffic accident. Shortly after the funeral, Felice, Hilary’s long lost sister returns hoping to claim her place in the family. Jack is quickly seduced by Felice, while Amy suspects Felice isn't exactly what she seems...

Verdict – What can I say about The Kiss? Well the first thing that stands out is that a young Meredith Salenger (Dream a little dream, Village of the damned) stars in this 80's gem, along with Joanna Pacula (Tombstone, Warlock 2). With a pretty impressive female cast the movie has a lot going for it, but sadly falls just inches flat from being a really well done film. The film had a solid back story going for it, and some really weird effects, but I have a feeling everything in this movie was going in about ten different directions. I feel midway through they lost me, and the ending sorta fell flat. (I'm sorry but that worm thing swimming around in the pool, seemed like a scene from Caddyshack on acid. Also the scene where the girl gets her whole period all at once at school, talk about a nightmare! I do have to hand it to them, the movie did have a very solid strong start, some very creative scenes, and a very original female female villain which we don't typically see.

I don't own this on DVD, but I guess it's still in print but there aren't any extras. The VHS copy I own is pretty sweet, and seeing that my VCR didn't gobble it up, its all good in my book.

So if your in the mood for some sleek sexy, weird, over the top 80's fun, check out The Kiss.

Three stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment