Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why Christine is awesome?

 Why Christine is awesome?
After Waxwork, I would say Christine is one of my all time favorite movies. In fact it's one of my all time favorite novels as well. Since it's mid November, I found it fitting to list why the 1983 classic is so awesome and important to me.


1) Stephen King wrote it.
 Horror master Stephen King was all ready on a roll with such classics as Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shinning all ready under his belt. Cranking out book after book, Hollywood made the smart choice in making them into feature length films. 1983 was a very popular year for King's work. The Dead Zone, and Cujo were being made into movies. Christine, wasn't even released yet on paperback when the production of this film began.

2) John Carpenter directed it.
 Stephen King wasn't the only man labeled as the new master of horror. Mr. Carpenter began making a pretty impressive name for himself after making Halloween and The Fog. Seeing that he would be the perfect man for such a film, Carpenter found this the best way to get over The Thing being a complete box office bomb. Teaming with King, the two made in my eyes one of the best horror movies ever made.

3) The cast was utter perfection in their roles.
 Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, and Alexandra Paul were perfect as the film's main leads. Gordon was the perfect choice as Arnie Cunningham, the poor boy who's over taken by his obsession to his new car. As a massive fan of John Stockwell, I loved seeing him as the helpless best friend who can't seem to figure out the fast change in his friend. Alexandra Paul was lovely as always as Leigh, Arnie's stunning girlfriend.

4) The car itself.
 My father raised me to be a huge classic car nut, so the fact this stunning Fury is the lead makes it all the better. If it wasn't such a tank, my dream would be to own one!

5) The score.
 Carpenter not only directed, he also did the score to the film himself. This is one of my all time favorite themes to a movie ever. Truly haunting.

6) Buddy Repperton
This is for my friend Melissa. William Ostrander owned the role of Buddy, the asshole who's after the film's lead and has one of the best showdowns with the car in the entire movie. Love his one liners, and his constant use of the world fuck.

7) Squeezing John Stockwell's balls
 I don't really have much to say about this. I just love it.

8) It's amazing one liners
 Roberts Blossom played the part of LeBay, the brother of the man who once owned Christine. Yes I wish they would have followed the book better, but I still enjoyed what they did. I'll never forget him from Home Alone...salts the sidewalks...

9) The soundtrack
 With lots of catchy tunes from the 50's and a few rock n roll songs from the 70's, this film has one hell of a soundtrack. I'm proud to own it!

10) It never needs a remake or a sequel.
It really doesn't. The book is left a little opened ended but I fell the way King and Carpenter made it, this was supposed to be it, even with it's clever ending shot. I really truly hate remakes on films that really don't need one. Nothing is wrong with this movie. It's not outdated since it was supposed to take place in the 70's, the directing, cast, score, and script were wonderful, and I feel if they try to update it for today it's only going to be a huge pile of shit like the Carrie remake was. Fingers crossed this film will never see the light of day with a remake or a sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment