Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Date with an Angel (1987)

 Date with an Angel (1987)
PLOT - Jim is soon to be married to Patty, but when he wakes up after a bachelor party thrown by his friends, he finds an injured angel in his pool. When Patty sees her, she thinks he's seeing someone else and gets upset and tells her father. Now he has to figure out how to; cure the angel, tell Patty what happened, keep his friends from taking the angel to the papers, and keep Patty's father from killing him. It's no wonder he has a headache. 

LOWDOWN - There are certian movies I strongly remember watching as a child. Date with an Angel is one of those I think I watched when I was maybe ten or so when it ran on cable on night. I only rememebred certian details of this movie such as whenever the Angel made a noise it sounded like a pigion cooning, or the fact she liked French fries. It wasn't until last night after coming home from the market that I saw this movie on TV. After a very rough 48 hours stress wise, I decided to kick back with my father and try to decompress. My father asked what this movie was about and I told him I had maybe seen it once or twice years ago and told him the only vauge details I remember from watching it. With nothing better to do, we both sat down and watched a movie that nicely helped my terrible stress filled mood I was all ready in. Leave it to cheesy 80's movies, they always do the trick.


The biggest thing that stricks out to me about this movie is the fact Tom McLoughlin directed it. Tom is best known for directing the sixth installment in the Friday the 13th film series Jason Lives. Tom was able to breath new life for a brief time in this series, adding some humor to the whole idea behind the hockey mask killer from Camp Crystal Lake. I know Tom for directing some of my all time favorite episodes from Friday the 13th the TV series. In fact back in 2011 I was beyond lucky enough to meet Tom and his wife Nancy in which both were a complete pleasure to talk to. Had I known Tom directed this movie then, I would have brought it up for sure. I liked that Tom and Nancy both have cameos in this movie, and Tom's clever use of humor is very clear in this adorable love story.

I also love that Phoebe Cates was in this. Of course I adore her in Fast Times and the two Gremlin movies, but it was nice to see her play a role very unlike herself. In fact me and my father were dying laughing during the Love Bug scene, or when she falls down the stairs with the shotgun. Crazy Phoebe Cates is always great for a laugh. 


Sadly I didn't really feel anything with the film's lead Michael E. Knight. It just seemed as if this really wasn't the role for him. Nothing against the actor himself but eh, I just have a feeling this movie would have been ten times more adorable say if Zach Galligan or John D LeMay played the lead. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

The rest of the cast, including the late David Dukes were great. I love a comdey that never seems forced. Silly little 80's movies like this are always the type of film to put me into a good mood. Always have, always will. The friends grabbing Jim at the party was the best part, love how all the guests ran outside.

And of course let's not forget the stunning Emmanuelle Beart was the Angel. First of all this woman was stunning, and I love the little noises she makes instead of talking. I loved the scene where she's about to eat the hamburger and it looks as if it's mouth is opening and she starts freaking out...classic. 


Besides some dated effects and blue screen stuff, the movie really isn't that bad. Sure it's cheesy but like I said this was back when movies seemed a little more pure, more fun, and more happy. I also loved the ending and forgot it turned out that way. Talk about adorable.

4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment