Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day 29 - Mystery film = Intruder (1989)

 Day 29 - Mystery film = Intruder (1989)

PLOT - The overnight stock crew of a local supermarket find themselves being stalked and slashed by a mysterious maniac. 

LOWDOWN - So either I suck at math, or I can't read a calander, but it seriously just dawned on me that I was 3 movie short with my 31 days of terror thing I had going on. = Fail. Anywho, I decided to make the last three films a mystery even tho their movies I have reviewed before in the past, and love very much. These are personal favorite that really don't need much to explain on how their so awesome. I decided to kick off day 29 with my all time favorite slasher. Yep that's right...Intruder. This movie has a soft place in my heart since it was the first movie I EVER reviewed on this blog a few years ago.

Intruder has been a very underatted gem for years. In fact, it became the thing of slasher legend due to the cast and mind blowing effects that KNB did right when they were starting out. Sadly, the film got swept up with many other lesser known films since it was released in the last year of the 80's, right when the slasher craze was dying a quick and painful death. Years passed and finally we were treated to a bare bones cut DVD which turned into a wonderful blu-ray release a few years later, all the gory films restored and looking completely stunning for a film that's over twenty years old! A new generation of fans, myself included rediscovered this slasher gem, and couldn't help but love the fact that Sam and Ted Raimi had roles in this.

Yep, that's right Sam and Ted Raimi. In fact Scott Spiegel, the man who helped write Evil Dead II, directed this little gem which is wonderful due to all the awesome POV shots including a phone, a shopping cart, and the floor!


With Lawarence Bender producing, and a likeable cast, the film's 80's supermarket setting at night was perfect as the guts and blood hit the floor.

I love that this film had such amazing deaths, in fact I would say this movie might have after the original Day Of The Dead might have the best practical effects of all time. Being able to see the SE edition of it was mind blowing. I've never seen such bloody and disturbing deaths before in my entire life! 

The two main reasons I love this movie has to do with the fact Mr. Sam Raimi has a role in it as Randy the butcher. Sam was in his late 20's at the time when he filmed this and looked f-i-n-e. He seriously is adorable and his death is my favorite in the entire film. In fact I've been planning for some time to finally get himself hanging from the meat hook tattooed on me. What can I say? I'm a true Raimi fan.


With Ted in a brief role and Bruce making a cameo, this is a complete horror fan's utter delight watching this.

The second of course is the clever ending, love the last shot with the heartbeat pounding. 

I urge anyone to go watch this movie. Not only is it in my top ten favorite movies, it's my all time favorite slasher!

5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment