Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Top Ten favorite movies I discovered or rediscovered in 2012

  Top Ten favorite movies I discovered or rediscovered in 2012
I'll be the first to admit, I don't go to the movies as often as I used to. First off the ticket prices are insane, and unless it's a huge hyped movie or horror title I'm interested in, I don't bother even going. Instead of doing a list of just movies that were released in 2012, I decided to make a list of movies that I discovered or rediscovered after many years and quickly became favorites of mine that I often re watched over and over again.
  1. Looper
    It honestly takes something huge to make my top five favorite list when it comes to movies. Looper is now in that list. I have spoken before of my love for this movie and will continue to do so. A twisted futuristic tragedy with some of the most amazing effects, writing, and dialog I've ever seen. 
     
  2. The Dark Knight Rises
    How do you end a trilogy that's last installer totally changed the way people looked at comic book villains for all time? Well that's answer is pretty simple...make it completely bad ass. The Dark Knight Rises is by far one of the greatest super hero movies I have ever seen. The last ten minutes are the real kicker and honestly makes me get the chills and cry like a complete nerd every time.

  3. This Is Spinal Tap
    I'm a huge fan of Christopher Guest (Waiting for Guffman, Best In Show.) but strangely I had never fully seen all of Spinal Tap until my interest peaked when his wife Jamie Lee Curtis attended HorrorHound this past fall. Wanting to see what all the fuss was about, I bought this movie and honestly have never laughed so hard in my life. This is coming from somebody who isn't really a big music far, but this is comedy brilliance at it's greatest that goes to 11.

  4. Waxwork
    Another film I vaguely remember watching as a child. Waxwork is now in my top ten favorite movies of all time. This is everything that I love about horror movies. A likeable cast, amazing practical effects, a catchy score, and such a simple idea for a story it's mind blowing. If you ever want to drink a few beers and watch a fun horror movie...Waxwork is the real deal.

  5. Waxwork II
    If the original wasn't enough, Waxwork II as strangely as this sounds is my favorite horror sequel since Aliens. Sure it has plenty of flaws, but if you're a fan of some really awesome horror classics, this movie pays tribute and is one hell of an awesome adventure. 
     
  6. Funeral Home
    Funeral Home is a very underrated movie that I finally picked up on bootleg last spring. A creepy classic tale, this is back when horror movies were smartly written and had great twists.

  7. Radioactive Dreams
    It's your typical action-adventure-science-fiction-musical-fantasy in a post-nuclear world. Yep, complete blind buy when I bought this but I don't regret it. A total underrated cult film with a great soundtrack. I have also gotten into the weird habit of collecting posters from this movie.

  8. Dangerously Close
    From the same director as Radioactive Dreams, Dangerously Close is a prime example of why the 1980's were so awesome. I also have a stunning poster from this movie and was able to get an awesome copy of it on DVD from VHSPS!

  9. Psychic
    Oh Zach Galligan...not only were you awesome in the Gremlins and the Waxwork films...you rocked in this little hidden 1990's thriller. Yes it isn't the best movie, but it has a very clever storyline that takes place in Boston. I also made my own version of the VHS artwork which not to brag...totally blows the original out of the water.

  10. Cabin In The Woods 
    I wasn't too sure how I would feel about this movie going in, but I had a lot of fun and loved the roller coaster original idea of a movie. Great bad ass ending for horror fans all alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment