Thursday, November 8, 2012

The dangerous art of making scarfs!

The dangerous art of making scarfs!
Martha Stewart...I am not. So a couple of days ago a woman who helps out at my work emailed me the very clever idea of turning old T-shirts into snazzy scarfs. So since I had nothing better to do on a Wednesday night, I went to "Knitting" which is held at this woman's house. Here four or five women in their 60's sit around and knit and talk shit and how to give hand jobs (I shit you not) So I decided why not, sit in and see how this happens. I've always wanted to learn how to knit, it's something my mother always wanted to do but never got the chance. So in honor of her and out of total boredom I decided to sit in and see how this happens. I was shown there how to turn a simple old T-shirt into a scarf using a sharp circle like box cutter. Taking an old Monster Squad T-shirt I used to wear back in high school we turned it into a scarf which I was pretty impressed with and then spent the rest of the time trying to learn how to knit with some yarn. 

Today I thought it would be brilliant to post an article on how to do this for all my craft loving friends. Well...I made a scarf all right and in the process slicked my finger nearly in two. 

Awesome.

STEP 1:
Find an old T-shirt. I have hundreds upon hundreds of T-shits I don't wear anymore (I'm sure I'm not alone in this.) Taking an old Friday the 13th shirt I used to rock back when I was much thinner and I didn't exactly have boobs, I decided it belonged in a better place than the back of my closet. 

STEP 2:
I don't know what this board is called, but that woman let me borrow it. It's sorta soft and it has measurements on it. Am I being super stupid...does this really have a name? Any-who, also I used the death weapon that I can only describe as a circular box cutter. I'm sure you can do this with any regular box cutter or scissor.


STEP 3:
Fit the shirt over the cutting board


STEP 4:
Use the blade to cut right underneath the arms of the shirt straight across.

STEP 5:
Thought it was cute that my dog was biting her paws and took a photo...I was so busy taking a photo of her that I used the blade and cut straight down without watching and cut right down my pointer finger.

I'll admit it, I'm a HUGE pussy when it comes to pain. Of course I felt like I was going to pass out when I saw the blood and ran straight to the sink. I'm sorry, I can watch people get torn apart on screen all day long but when it comes to my own blood getting spilled I'm a complete pussy.

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK!!!

STEP 6:
Patched up like new and more than a little bitter I turn the board around and measure about eight inches up and start slicing up making the fabric into little strips going all the way across.

STEP 7:
After going all the way across, I have my scarf. The bottom half of the shirt serves as the top and the strips are the bottom. Yeah the photos don't do it to justice but after nearly cutting my finger off I would have to say this was a somewhat successful arts and crafts project

PS.
Trying to type with this finger not touching the keyboard is a complete bitch. 





No comments:

Post a Comment