Sunday, August 12, 2012

Best and worse Stephen King endings


Best and worse endings to a Stephen King movie.

I adore Mr. King. Having grown up in a household where my late mother used to read every single work of his, it became custom that his mini series and movies were a big part of me and my sister's childhood growing up. Now in my twenties, it's safe to say I've pretty much read almost every single novel of his with only a few more recent titles to tackle. I've also grown to love all his work that's been adapted to the small and big screen. Here is a list of my top 5 favorite and top 5 worse endings to some of his movies. Honorable mentions for Best goes to Thinner, and and Firestater. Some people may disagree with me on these two but it killed me that I couldn't fit them in the list. Thinner's ending twist is beyond clever, and you'll never look at pie the same way again, and Firestater has such a simple and bitter sweet ending that went along lovely with the beautiful theme. Runner up for what didn't make the list for worse has to be Dreamcatcher I would have loved to know what the hell that movie was about. There were so many farts and sex shaped organ aliens, I couldn't stand it!

TOP 5 BEST

The Mist (2007)
 I was floored at the ending of The Mist. For those who haven't seen it I don't want to spoil it for you. Beyond haunting and tragic. By far one of the greatest endings to a film I've ever seen.

The Shinning (1980)
 As a child this last shot of the movie used to give me the creeps.

The Dead Zone (1983)
 Beautiful and tragic...of course it's a Stephen King movie. David Croneberg really knows how to get the tears flowing with this ending. 

Christine (1983)
 Something so simple as a tiny bit of metal bending and a very awesome credit song, makes the ending to this movie awesome. "God I have Rock N Roll..."

Pet Sematary (1989)
 I've spoken about my love for the ending of this movie many times. Nothing better than a nice old sloppy kiss and then one of the best end credit songs of all time!

TOP 5 WORSE

The Langoliers (1995)

 If you ever want to shit on my face, play the ending to this movie for it. Horrible...just horrible.

Maximum Overdrive (1986)
What can really honestly stop Mr. King's coke crazed train wreck of a movie better than Yeardley Smith talking in that lovely voice of hers on a boat and ACDC blasting. I really don't know...

Silver Bullet (1985)
 The voice over of this movie really worked up until the last line and the freeze frame. So cheesy!

1408 (2007)
 This movie had like ten million endings and which one do they go with? The weakest! Should have ended with him telling the firefighters not to go into that room and the numbers on the door melting. Instead we have a very weak ending that I honestly didn't buy.

The Shinning (1997)
 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
If you ever want to see me puke play this over the top HORRIBLE cheesy ending. I can't stand it!

1 comment: