Sunday, March 11, 2018

Top five Corey Haim performances!!!

Top five Corey Haim performances!!!
 Yesterday marked the 8th year since Corey Haim tragically and suddenly passed away. I myself remember exactly where I was when I first learned the news. I was away at school in PA, and that day I had sculpting class. I wore my Corey Feldman Vs. Corey Haim shirt that I originally bought at Cherry Hill NJ back in 2008 for the Lost Boys' reunion show being held at a popular convention venue. At the time everyone was watching the train wreck unfold otherwise known as The Two Coreys reality TV show that was currently in it's second season that displayed 80's teen stars Haim and Feldman living together with Feldman's wife, trying to find a comeback as well as battling an on doing feud that had been boiling since the 1990's.  The "staged" TV show that aired on A&E showed Haim having supposedly cleaned up his act and was moving in with Feldman and his wife Suzie to make a series of public appearances to promote the 20th anniversary of The Lost Boys, as well as try to repair the many broken bridges he left behind when his career took a nosedive in the 90's thanks to his battling addiction problems. The first season was light-hearted fun, but blew up in the last episode when both Coreys went at it when tensions were at an all time high. In the second season, shot more gritty and realistic, it followed both Corey's who were in very different places in their lives who were still at each other's throats, and were trying to repair a friendship that truly might have been past the point of saving. Before it was officially announced at the second season was canceled (I for one don't understand why, I found this stuff pretty interesting even though it appeared at the last episode that aired both Coreys couldn't even stand to be in the same room as each other) I could have seen it at least going on for another season or so. Tragically due to low ratings as well as Haim's behavior, the show ended, which left people all around the world wondering what was going to happen next? This was the same summer the AWFUL straight to video Lost Boys sequel got made, which showed in the reality show Haim unable to film a cameo due to being so drugged up. When I attended that convention I know for a fact both Feldman and Haim weren't speaking. Both were sitting in separate rooms, and I heard Haim even tore up a photo a fan brought that showed Feldman and his wife Suzie (This I wasn't ever able to confirm, but it really seemed unlike Haim) I met both Coreys, and even though Feldman was a childhood crush, I really have to say meeting Haim was the highlight of the weekend. 

I've told this story before, but basically I waited in line 6 HOURS to meet Feldman in the hot August sun. Thankfully I met some really cool people in line who made the wait not so awful. When we got upstairs after what seemed like forever, Corey kept taking breaks. When he finally did show up, his massive bodyguard informed everyone that Corey was going to keep his sunglasses on since the flash hurt his eyes, and that he personalized everything (This was a bummer since I brought my Camp Crystal Lake memories book for him to sign) Still, I didn't care. I understand the whole sunglasses thing (even though I do roll my eyes over it, but hey after getting a flash going off over and over in your face I'm sure it does start hurting.) But the personalized thing really bugged me. Corey's reasoning behind this. Simple, he stated he doesn't want anyone making money off his name. (...) So I met him and his wife. Corey was nice enough, signed my book and Lost Boys T-shirt. Him and his wife did take the time to make sure my autograph came out nice on my shirt, and seemed friendly enough, but it was Haim who blew me away. I raced downstairs with the same people I waited with for Feldman and only sat outside for a half an hour. Haim was originally going to go to lunch when he spotted about 30 of us outside waiting. I heard from the staff he said lunch could wait, he was here to meet the fans and let us in.  Corey was in the same room as Robert Englund which was hilarious since he kept using his Freddy voice, making Corey crack up and laugh. 

Haim was lovely. I thanked him and told him how much this meant to me since his movies were such a big part of my childhood. He smiled, looked me in the eye and said "That means a lot darling, thank-you." He said he liked my star tattoo on my hand, took his time signing two autographs for me (an 8X10 of himself from The Lost Boys and my shirt.) He insisted they take took photos since the flash didn't go off the first time, and gave me a hug. Seriously the nicest guy ever. I would see Haim later that evening when I watched G Tom Mac perform "Cry Little Sister". Haim was there and surrounded by his co-stars and really seemed to be getting emotional hearing the song play before and audience. I would meet Haim that following October with my late mother. 

He did not look good.

He didn't look healthy and seemed to skinny. He was very friendly (it meant to world meeting him with my mother since she was the person responsible for showing me The Lost Boys) but even my mother noticed how out of it he appeared. Still, a complete gentlemen, but as we walked away my mother whispered to me "That poor thing, he'll be dead within a year." What breaks my heart is my mother was right. That winter I lost my mother, and the following year Haim passed. I still remember wearing that Feldman Vs Haim shirt and hearing the news that Haim had died. The fact I had that shirt on still creeps me out to this day. 

Corey had some serious issues he was dealing with. News came forward that he had been raped and molested on the set of one of his earlier films, as well as taken advantage by other powerful men in Hollywood throughout his career. He briefly touched upon this to Feldman on his show, but died before he could properly tell his story. I have heard rumors of who his attacker was, and in all honestly it turns my stomach. Feldman and Haim I guess made amends shortly before he passed, and since then Feldman has been dancing around the truth of who this attacker was. (Between a book, Lifetime movie, and now what's expected to be a feature length film.) I truly don't know where Feldman's intensions are. I would like to hope he's trying to bring justice to his friend instead of making a quick buck. All I do know is hopefully the people responsible for this will be properly pointed out and Haim even in death will have justice. It truly is without being sappy such a heartbreaking story since Haim seemed to hold so much promise. Instead a series of events led to his self-destructive behavior, which ended up having Haim dead before the age of forty. 

So to honor Mr. Haim, I decided to narrow down my personal favorite five performances by Corey!


5) Dream A Little Dream - Dinger
- One of my favorite Corey films. Is it a great movie? No, not really. Still, it's a fun 80's movie with some killer fashion and a great soundtrack. Corey was a bit of an add-on in this movie with Feldman as the starring role. Haim at the time was at the height of his addiction problems, and after an accident resulted in a broken leg, he was tacked on playing Dinger. Corey's role isn't huge in this movie, but he steals the show in every scene he appears in. My favorite is him talking to himself inside Joel's car. Classic.

4) Lucas - Lucas 
- This was Haim's breakout performance. It almost didn't make the list due to the rumors of what happened on set. Still, it doesn't take away from how well Haim was in this film. His first official starring role, told the classic underdog story. This is a wonderful mid 80's movie about true love, heartbreak, and beating the odds. It also features an epic 1980's slow clap.


3) Les - License To Drive
- I LOVE this movie. Whenever I need a good 1980's feel good comedy I either go with this movie or Summer School. This was Haim and Feldman's next project after The Lost Boys. It's a zany movie about Les (Haim) who sadly fails his driver's test and gets grounded the same weekend he's supposed to take one of the most beautiful girls in school out. Deciding to say YOLO he sneaks out his grandfather's precious Caddy, and goes on quite the adventure where everything that could goes wrong...does! This is a silly film that kills me every time. My favorite has to be Haim taking his driver's test "You spill the coffee..you fail!"

2) Sam - The Lost Boys
- Haim's most popular and well loved movie. The Lost Boys was 1 of the best vampire movies made durning the 1980's. (I feel the holy trifecta is Fright Night, Near Dark, and then this.) This was when vampires were coming out of the Hammer era, and were given the chance to be sexy and mysterious. The Lost Boys along with movies like The Goonies and The Monster Squad, were staples to watch constantly in my house growing up. Haim plays Sam, the lead character Michael's younger brother. He provides the audience with comic relief, as well as teaming up with the Frog Brothers (This would be his first film with Feldman that skyrocketed them into stardom) to try and find and kill the head vampire before it's too late. This film is filled with tons of memorable moments and lines, but my favorite has to be Haim's colorful bathrobe as well as his Rob Lowe poster hanging in his bedroom. 

1) Marty - Silver Bullet    
- This movie ranks number one simply because this was Haim at the beginning of his career. It wasn't his first film, but a film that displayed the true talent he possessed. Based off the short story "Cycle Of The Werewolf" by Stephen King, Haim plays Marty, a young twelve year old boy who's handicapped to a wheelchair. In the small town where Marty lives, once a month grizzly attacks have been killing locals, in which the police believe is either a wild animal, or a crazed psycho. One night when Marty sneaks out to let off some fireworks, he's nearly killed by a giant wolf. Thanks to some quick thinking, Marty fires a rocket into the animal's eye and speeds away on his wheelchair/motorbike his uncle built for him. Clearly shaken, he seeks aid to the very same uncle and his older sister, telling them he believes it's a werewolf committing these crimes, and all they need to do is look for somebody in town who now only has one eye.

So in closing, rest in power Corey. Taken way too soon. I really wish you could have had the comeback you deserved. Still, he'll live on forever in his films, and still remain being known as a nice funny guy. Thanks Corey for the memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment