Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Top 5 Corey Feldman performances!!!

Top 5 Feldman performances!!!

To close up our second Feldman/Haim themed week this year (I'm sure there will be a third this summer!) I decided to say YOLO and after paying tribute to Mr. Haim on my top five favorite performances by the late 80's icon, I wanted to give the other Corey some love and highlight my favorite five roles his very colorful and unique actor has played.

Oh Feldman, what is there to say? Much like Haim, I grew up watching Corey in countless films (The top two that were constantly playing in my house was The Goonies and The Lost Boys.) It wasn't until roughly the 6th grade that I developed a massive crush on Feldman and truly couldn't get enough of him. I'm telling you, I feel I should have been born in 78 instead of 88. Everyone who knew me back then knew how crazy I was about his movies. I was such a fan that my mother and sister even ordered Dream A Little Dream 1 & 2 for me on VHS and my mother even tried to track down the leather studded jacket he rocks on the original's cover. I bought the soundtrack to the first movie and constantly blasted it, and in 2008 was lucky enough to meet both him and Haim at a horror convention

I met Corey a second time this past summer. I'm sure anyone who isn't hiding underneath a rock knows about Corey's music career which has been making headlines and raising eyebrows. He's released several albums, and most recently have been performing with his "angels" Well he went on tour this year, and after witnessing his epic music video Millennium Ascension, and my sister, her husband, and myself decided to get really drunk and watch him perform at this little hole in the wall bar (which had no business even hosting the show since it was so small) Words can't truly capture what this experience was like. It was truly something else. 


Still, I'll give Corey credit where credit is due. He's quite the performer and his angels are more than girls with fake wings and white bras and panties...they can actually play really good music. In fact Corey's recent wife (his head angel Courtney) performed a cover of The Goonies song and actually did a really good job. It may have been the beers talking, but I enjoyed myself. At the end of the show fans were able to meet Feldman. I was pretty buzzed by then so when I approached him I yelled "THE ORIGINAL TOMMY JARVIS!" Corey nervously smiled, hugged me, and took a photo before signing my Camp Crystal Lake Memories blu-ray. Hey, this was my second time meeting the man. I didn't give a fucccccck! Any-who, Corey will and always be a fascinating character and believe it or not, as much as I laugh and shake my head at some of the stuff he says and does, I gained major respect for him after reading his book and witnessing A Tale Of Two Coreys. Like I said with Haim's post, for all we know this is just a way to cash in and make money. There are always three sides to the truth and I did roll my eyes a few times durning the Lifetime movie as clearly it was trying to paint him in a better light. Still, after reading his book my heart broke finding out about the abusive he suffered by his mother, and I give him major respect for keeping his son out of the spotlight. Good for you Corey. 

A Tale Of Two Coreys

So in honor of this 80's teen icon, here are my top five favorite performances by Mr. Feldman.

5) Bobby - Dream A Little Dream
- Ah the movie I was obsessed with as a pre-teen. This was Haim and Feldman's third movie durning the 1980's, and Feldman's first starring role. Sadly as I've stated in past posts, Dream A Little Dream was very misunderstood. It was supposed to be a mature art house movie, and instead seemed to be trying to be a teen comedy/romance. It has a very confusing plot, but seriously oozes the 1980's between the fashion and killer soundtrack. Bobby plays a troubled teen who's in love with his friend's girlfriend. It isn't until the soul of an old man who was trying to find the secret to youth gets trapped in Bobby's body. Here he tries to fix Bobby's life, and get the girl before he loses his wife who's soul halfway transferred into the young girl Bobby has fallen in love with (Um, okay?!) Anyways, this is a fun movie you shouldn't take too seriously. We get Feldman's MJ dance moves, his questionable fashion, and him really trying to give it his all carrying this film as a lead. Could it have been better? 100% Still, I find it charming, and still crank the soundtrack to this day. Nothing beats Feldman and his female co-star trying to do the experiment to swap back souls with the Rock On cover blasting. Total nerd chills!

4) Ricky - The Burbs
- "We got the pizza dude coming!" I rediscovered my love for The Burbs recently, and it's in my top twenty favorite movies of all time. Seriously, this movie is a riot. Returning with Gremlins' director Joe Dante, Feldman appears as teenage neighbor Ricky in this beyond awesome cast (Hanks, Dern, Fisher, ect) Feldman cracks me up in this role (him jumping on the police cruiser's hood, or dumping the paint buckets all over the speakers.) It's a fun little role, which sadly was one of Feldman's last big studio films due to his "habits" at the time. Still, such a fun watch!

3) Mouth - The Goonies 
- "Jerk alert!" This film wins my vote for the film that I always think of whenever I look back on my childhood. This movie holds a special place in my heart simply because it was one of my mother's favorites, and one of the best feel good movies of the 1980's. Feldman plays Mouth, the smart-ass who can't seem to keep his trap shut, and is responsible for some of the film's funniest moments. I loved his cool breeze attitude, and constant hassling to his friend Chunk. I legit die whenever he tells Chunk about having naked photos of his mom and is selling them...real cheap! Seriously such a riot. Feldman steals the show in every scene he's in (the pearls and gems in his mouth, thinking Martin Sheen is on a penny, or translating to the Spanish maid.) This will forever and always be one of Feldman's more iconic roles and what's even cooler is countless younger generations will be introduced to this movie over the years!

2) Edgar Frog - The Lost Boys 
- Feldman was at the top of his game in 1987. Having just appeared in Stand By Me, he held lots of promise for a very successful career. Appearing as one of the Frog brothers in the sexy sleek teen vampire flick The Lost Boys, Feldman's performance is legendary! Speaking in a deep over the top voice, he's the other half to Allen Frog, who works for his parent's comic book store. Here the two brothers meet Haim's character (which would be the first movie both Haim and him would appear in together) and give him advice that this coastal fun seaside town is actually crawling with blood sucking vampires. Seeing Feldman in this kind of role is a riot. His deadpan delivery, Rambo like wardrobe, and classic one liners are amazing. The Lost Boys was a huge favorite of mine growing up, and this is probably one of Feldman's more popular movies. Sadly I never liked the sequels that followed. Still, insane to think this movie is 31 years old! Yikes!

1) Tommy Jarvis - Friday the 13th The Final Chapter/A New Beginning
- I absolutely love the tagline for one of the Friday the 13th films. "Tommy Jarvis did something others died trying to do. He killed Jason Voorhees." Completely iconic. Feldman was the "ORIGINAL" as I like to drunkly shout Tommy Jarvis, a popular character played by different actors over the years in the camp slasher series. In 1984 it was originally planned to end the successful film series by killing off the series' villain Jason. With clever marketing, they decided to release it on April 13, and announce that it was officially Jason's unlucky day. With a great cast, stellar effects, and one hell of an ending, The Final Chapter had Jason finally meet his match. Not by a final girl (Alice, Ginny, Chris, and Trish) but he meets his end by the hands of a small 12 year old boy. Yes, that's right, Jason is down for the count (for the first time even being absent for the following sequel) by actually being killed off by a pre-teen. Corey plays Tommy Jarvis, a young nerdy looking boy who's fascinated by monsters and horror movies, and has a great talent by making monster masks and special effects. All horror fans could relate to Tommy, and after witnessing Jason go on a rampage, he doesn't abandoned his older sister Trish. Instead, he uses his brains by using an old newspaper clipping and transforms himself into what Jason originaly looked like as a child. Using the same mind-fuck games as Ginny did in part 2, this gives Trish the chance to fight back against his unstoppable killer, and even does the smart thing by hacking Jason multiple times when the killer is down for the count. The film was left on a cliffhanger, making audiences believe that perhaps the films would continue, only this time with Tommy as the new killer after his mind snapping following the fateful night. Well as fate would have it, Feldman was busy shooting The Goonies and was unable to return for part 5 so that whole storyline was tossed aside. He did return for a brief cameo which makes part 5 have one of the strongest openings in the entire series! Feldman has always stated his regret for not returning for more of these movies (I feel he could have returned in the late 80's) but embraces his horror fans, and even narrated the Camp Crystal Lake Memories doc. This of course will forever bring a huge smile to my face. Way to go Feldman! God, what I would have done to see them show the set to these movies in A Tale Of Two Coreys!

3 cheers for Feldman!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment