Thursday, December 19, 2013

Tales From The Darkside - Season's Of Belief

 Tales From The Darkside - Season's Of Belief

PLOT - On Christmas Eve, a father ends his two children's boredom by holding them spellbound with a scary story about a fearsome beast known as the Grither. 

LOWDOWN - With less than 5 days till Christmas, I decided to try and milk this blog with as many holiday horror themed movies as I can do. Sadly last year I pretty much reviewed every single one, and I have a strange feeling by next year I'll have to do something completely different, who knows maybe just a whole month of drinking games and me trying to bake cookies. We'll see.

Anywho, since yesterday I reviewed And All Through The House from Tales From The Crypt, I decided to take a second and express my love for the Tales From The Darkside episode Seasons Of Belief. 

Now last year I was given the chance to review this episode, along with the Monsters episoder Glim-Glim, so instead of a typical review, I decided to just express my thoughts on why this truly is one of the best episodes Darkside had ever done.


I first watched this episode back in 2007 or 2008 I believe, this was back when Chiller was still awesome, and showed reruns of suchs shows as Friday the 13th the series, Freddy's Nightmares, Tales From The Crypt, Twin Peaks, and Tales From The Darkside. I still remember what a lasting impression this episode gave to me even though I was 19 or 20 when I first watched it. First off, I really need to say I love whenever horror blends with the holidays, mostly Christmas. Taking what is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year and making it to polo opposite is awesome, with Seasons of Belief, this is exactly what they did. In fact, I feel it's a shame (not really) that I never want children, because if I did I know for certian I would just HAVE to tell them the tale of The Grither. 

This is an episode I feel could believe it or not be turned into a play. In fact, with the right set, and props I feel this would be amazing to see live on stage. This is why I like this episode, it was simple, and focused on the storytelling, which the actors sold 100%.


I liked the idea of this non tridational family, trying to be tridational and old fashion. First off, the father, played by E.G Marshall, who we all know best from Creepshow, must be at least twenty or thirty years older than his wife. In fact the first time I watched this, I tuned in after the first break, and could have sworn it was the grandfather. Then the two children, wonderfuly played by Sky Berdahl and Jenna von Oy. It isn't often where child actors can really sell it and carry a story, thankfuly they did here. 

I liked the whole idea of these kids acting as if they knew better, I loved the borning gifts they got, and how they sorta acted like know-it-alls, knowing that there was no such thing as Santa, and laughing at first at the tale of The Gritter.

Like I said before details in the storytelling by the parents, telling the children every time they say his name outloud he will travel from the South Pole and begin his way towards whoever doesn't believe in him, the audiance can't help but feel a little uncomfortble as the climax of the story comes.


The best is the payoff, such a simple and over the top effect that truly is one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Loved the ending shot, and like I said pretty much the complete opposite of holiday cheer.

So if you're looking for a classic 80's holiday tale of terror, check out Seasons Of Belief from Tales From The Darkside, and remember never to say the monster's name outloud!


5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment