Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25 - Girls Nite Out (1982)

 Day 25 - Girls Nite Out (1982)
PLOT - A killer, wearing a dancing bear suit, stalks a variety of cheerleaders during an all-night scavenger hunt at a remote Ohio college. 

LOWDOWN - I first heard about Girls Nite Out back in 2007 when I bought it as a complete blind buy on DVD. As low budget and "odd" as this movie is, I was taken in my the instant charm it gave off. In fact I remember even showing this movie to my poor parents that didn't seem to really get why I liked it so much. Years later I view Girls Nite Out as a classic typical 80's slasher that is dying for a true remake.

The plot is pretty interesting. It seems at a college campus, a group of cheerleaders are doing an all night scavenger hunt listening to clues given by the school's DJ. Unknown to them a killer steals the school's mascot costume and begins stalking the young girls, picking them off one by one. All right before Halloween. Sounds amazing? 

Yes it is.


Following several different characters that are more than a little over the top, the movie's first half plays for laughs and it works 98% of the time. With lots of weird and zanny moments, the movie is a slow burn to the boiling point that begins as the masked killer begins killing off the teens. With a great setting on the campus during the fall, and the killer with four knifes tapped together as a giant claw, a few years before A Nightmare On Elm Street used that as it's weapon of choice, Girls Nite Out is an early 80's slasher that despite it's many flaws has a great story, and a pretty interesting twist at the end. In fact, the first time I viewed it, even tho it's pretty clear who the killer is, I somehow had no idea. The ending part does feel a bit rushed, but with the last shot of the movie I would honestly say it's one of the creepiest endings in my eyes of all time. 


Like I said if a true fan decided to remake this, maybe Ti West, have it take place in the early 80's and ease down on the cheese and make it much darker. The bear suit is silly, but could work if done the right way. I would have more girls getting killed off, and of course a better twist for the ending. With some great moments, and an even greater soundtrack...Girls Nite Out is one of my all time favorite fall time slashers ever!

3 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment