Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II Review

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
Year – 1987
Directed by - Bruce Pittman
Starring - Lisa Schrage, Michael Ironside, and Wendy Lyon

Remember prom? Ah yes, a magical time indeed. I still need to dig up photos from my prom which as shocking as it sounds was only five years ago! I went with a kid named Josh Quinn who was a complete blast and I wore a gorgeous green dress. I also remember trying to take my fake nails off at the end of the night using a pair of scissors. (…) ah memories...


PLOT - When Hamilton High's Prom Queen of 1957, Mary Lou Maloney is killed by her jilted boyfriend, she comes back for revenge 30 years later. Bill Nordham is now the principle of Hamilton High and his son is about to attend the prom with Vicki Carpenter. However, she is possessed by Mary Lou Maloney after opening a trunk in the school's basement. Now Bill must face the horror he left behind in 1957. 


LOWDOWN – I'll admit, I'm a fan of the original Prom Night movie starring Jamie Lee Curtis. I have many fond memories of my mother renting it and enjoying the whole whodunit plot set during a disco dance gone wrong. I think Prom Night was one of the earlier slashers that was smartly written and not corrupted as the decade went on. Yes many find it boring but I find it a very well made horror movie. I look at it's sequel as I look at The Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel. It isn't the original classic, but it took things to a whole new level. It was over the top, crazy, and took everything in a very new and interesting direction. Prom Night II was a movie I remember renting when I was younger and like so many others the whole reason why I ended up watching it was because the VHS artwork caught my eye. Who doesn't remember Mary Lou burning in her locker? I remember really not knowing what to think of this movie. This film and the original have nothing to do with each other besides taking place in the same high school. I was a little puzzled and more than a little confused before finally I decided to just shut up and enjoy the very bizarre ride. It wasn't until years later while VHS hunting that I found an original copy to this and decided to give it another try. I was not disappointed. Prom Night II is honestly I believe one of the best made horror sequels out there. Yes it's very dated (the fashion mostly) but I think it gave pretty good insight to what high school was like back in the late 1980's. It dealt with possession, teen pregnancy, dueling bitches, murder, and saving one's soul from Hell itself. It felt as though a million things were being thrown at you at once, but in all honestly it's one of the most perfect fun horror movies to watch. This is a great film to watch after having a few beers with a few friends. It's what makes horror so much fun. This I think not only shows one of the most kick ass female villains, but also a very well rounded cast, cool effects, a kick ass soundtrack, and believe it or not a very well written plot. Prom Night II isn't you're normal slasher. I like that they went with the supernatural path with this one and didn't try to link it to the 1980 original. This movie strongly stands on its own. In fact just earlier this summer I happened to show my father this (who really isn't the biggest horror movie fan out there) and he really got into it and said it was one of the better movies I owned. Coming from that man that says a lot. Now I'm sure I'll be reviewing Prom Night III The Last Kiss before long, but something magical was captured in this movie. I think it's one of the better made movies towards the end of the decade and like I said one of the best horror movie sequels out there. So if you're ever looking for a kick ass movie, or want to remember the good old days of prom, pop in Prom Night II and take Mary Lou out for the night!


Four stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment