Friday, June 1, 2018

Interview with artist Walker Jess Madison Davis!

 Interview with artist Walker Jess Madison Davis!

Just a few weeks ago while scrolling around on a Twin Peaks Facebook group, I discovered some truly stunning artwork of some iconic Twin Peaks characters, all hand pained and made on cut pieces of wood. Here I saw the talented artist Mr. Walker Jess Madison Davis. Instantly I fell in love with his eye catching pieces of work, and loved the pop feel that these characters gave, which were all hand painted originals. Knowing I just HAD to own a piece, I contacted Walker ASAP asking if he could make me a Richard Horne painting on a cut wood piece. I'm sure it's clear that Richard Horne aka Evil Cooper's and Audrey's disturbed son played by the beautiful Eamon Farren was my favorite character from The Return. So far I've had several artists and friends of mine make pieces based off this character to add to my ever growing Twin Peaks collection. From the second I checked out Walker's work I knew I needed to get a custom piece done.

I was not disappointed. 
My Richard Horne piece above by Walker.

Walker was a pleasure to deal with on Etsy. He quickly responded, gave me a very reasonable quote, and seriously knocked this Richard Horne piece out of the park. I have him a photo I wanted the piece based of, and he instantly went to work. He was finished super quick, and not only did he keep me updated on the progress, he also shipped out the item super quick, and it arrived fast, as well as safe and sound. I was blown away at the size of this piece, and well as the vivid detail, and how wonderful it looked in person. I instantly fell in love, and placed it with my other Richard Horne pieces. This hands down is one of my favorite pieces I own from my collection, and I was lucky enough to speak with Walker to pick his brain about movies, art, and future projects he has lined up.

I can't urge you enough to go check out Walker's work and support his amazing art!

1) Top 5 favorite movies of all time?

This is so hard for me because I have about a hundred, so I will try to pick a favorite from specific genres or directors. I would say favorite in the fantasy category would have to be THE WIZARD OF OZ. It was my all time favorite as a kid and could impersonate any given character and act out any scene. Now as an adult, I can't help but admire all of the technical aspects and magic that was created in a time before technological advancement. I still have yet to see a fantasy film that is just as encompassingly magical and transcending. For a musical, I would say THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. I remember watching the movie when I was a teenager and at the time, it was the coolest and most bizarre movie I had ever watched. Every song had an awesome rock n' roll hook, I could sing the lyrics to all of the songs, and the story was so strange I couldn't help but fall under it's spell. Also, when I was growing up in the Bible Belt filled with cookie cut-out citizens, it really gave me something to identify with. I remember thinking, "Now THESE are my kind of characters." I have even played Brad in two different productions of the stage musical, The Rocky Horror Show. I just have so many great memories associated with the show. I remember reading an article stating the film is pop art set to film, and now I can't see it any other way. I think it has greatly influenced my artistic style because my work predominantly incorporates sex, rock n'roll, and vintage horror and 50s aesthetics. My favorite Tim Burton film is EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. The story is all about looking within to discover true beauty despite outer appearances. A modern day fairy tale that shines a light on the fact that sometimes the most beautiful people in a pastel paradise can be the real monsters. The ending is still so powerful and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. A favorite modern movie would be A SINGLE MAN that came out in 2009 that starred Colin Firth and Julianne Moore. It's a period piece that is set in the 1960s in California about the day in the life of a gay man who is in mourning the death of partner. At the start of the film, the main character's partner has already been dead 6 months and on this day, he is carefully planning to commit his own suicide. The film is absolutely visually stunning and filled to the brim with amazing performances. And a favorite cult film would be, ARMY OF DARKNESS because....Bruce Campbell. Need I say more?


2) Top 3 favorite characters from either film or television?

Ned the Pie Maker (portrayed by Lee Pace) from Bryan Fuller's fantasy/mystery/film noir television series, PUSHING DAISIES.
Willy Wonka (portrayed by Gene Wilder) in WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Just legendary.
Audrey Horne (portrayed by Sherilyn Fenn) in TWIN PEAKS. She's just the ultimate femme fatale!


3) When did you start making artwork?

I started making art from the time I was able to hold a crayon! I was always known for being the resident artist at school and was constantly receiving awards for my creations. Some of my original drawings were even featured on the covers of local art association magazines. I started focusing my attention to seriously pursue art in college and I received my Bachelor's of Fine Arts Degree in Painting from Armstrong State University in Savannah, Georgia. I received Best All Around in Art History, was a member of Phi Kappa Phi for outstanding academic achievement, and graduated with a 3.68 GPA. Since graduation, my work has been featured in a number of art exhibitions, several businesses in Atlanta carry my original artwork, and I have been managing my business selling my artwork through Etsy, and my client database keeps growing and growing! One of the coolest things that has happened to me was when I was promoting my art of Instagram earlier this year. I was creating a series of Twin Peaks themed Valentines and Kimmy Robertson, who plays Lucy Moran, saw the drawing I did of her character and she wanted to use the printed copies of the image to sign for her fans! That's probably one of the most flattering things to happen to me thus far! Quite magical and surreal, to be honest. I've been in contact with one of the promoters who helps organize special events and celebrity conventions for Kimmy and some of the other cast members. I forwarded a print of an Audrey Horne painting I did to give to Sherilyn Fenn as a gift. I have attached the link to Kimmy's website to view my drawing here: https://www.kimmyrobertson.com/shop

4) What is your typical process for making a piece?

I am a firm believer in engrossing oneself in the act of creating. Many artists think, "I need to be inspired first." But I have discovered that ideas and concepts will reveal themselves to me in the process of creating and those particular ideas would never have happened if I just sat around waiting for something to spontaneously appear in my mind. I also love looking at other people's work and discovering their personal, unique processes. Sometimes, I simply enjoy looking at vintage movie posters for b-movies and pulp fiction online. We have a plethora of resources at our disposal. I can do a search on Google and view images from the days when movie posters were true forms of art! But inspiration can come from so many things...just being out in the world and recognizing simple colors and aesthetics in one's surroundings. Beauty is everywhere.

5) What upcoming projects are you looking forward to working on in the future?

I have been creating a series of wearable art pieces as a collection. I have been finding amazing leather jackets while thrift store shopping and I have created portraits of punk, cult, and classic rock icons. People LOVE the aesthetic and it's a great way to update clothing that gets tossed. Also, I am actually weighing my options for relocating to California or New York City to pursue my my artistic and theatrical endeavors.

6) Ultimate summer movie for you?

The cult classic, Teen Witch is appropriate any time, right?

7) Favorite moment from Twin Peaks The Return?

"Ladies and Gentlemen...Audrey's Dance!"

8) Favorite piece you have worked on?

I have so many, but I would probably say this piece entitled, There's a light (Over at the Frankenstein Place). The colors, the size of the piece, the action that's implied, the mystery of where the couple is, how they got there, what's inside the haunted house, the expressions on their faces, and they both have those classic Hollywood good looks. Like Clark Kent and a beautiful bombshell. I just love painting haunted houses and creating that atmospheric mystery. If I sold this, it would have to be for a pretty penny!


Thank you Walker!!! Honored to own a piece by you! Looking forward to working with you again!


No comments:

Post a Comment