Friday, April 13, 2018

5 things I would change about Jason Lives.

 5 things I would change about Jason Lives.
Disclaimer!!! I really truly love Jason Lives. Even though it isn't my favorite out of the series, I have a soft spot for this entry and really love the direction that Tom McLoughlin went with this film. Them Mathews rocked, and this was the perfect way to close up what I like to call the Tommy Jarvis trilogy. Still, there are a few things a fangirl like myself can "pretend" was different in another universe. Still, let we be known...this is a great movie exactly as it is. I mean I was lucky enough to meet Tom McLoughlin a few years back (I talked his ear off about my favorite episodes he directed for Friday the 13th the series) and his adorable wife Nancy. His direction with making Jason an unstoppable zombie mixed with the dark humor, and moments for the audience and laugh and scream along were perfect. Also let's take a second and put our hands together for Court.

Remember Cort...just keep it up until the end of the song!

But just for fun since it's Friday the 13th, here's a "What if?" of things I would change for fun in this very zany entry.

1) Try and get Feldman back.
- It was 1986 so we're stretching it a bit. Tommy is supposed to be in his late teens and around this time Feldman was between Stand by Me and The Lost Boys. We all know the story surrounding why he couldn't return for part 5 (Damn you Goonies!) but filmed a pretty cool cameo instead. Nevertheless, Corey has remarked how much he wished he could have continued on with the films (Even tho if you ask me I think we made the right career movie for the next few years in the 1980's) He would have been prime to return had this film been made in 1989 via Dream A Little Dream days. Remember guys, this has been done before where an actor has been replaced, then comes back (Phantasm III anyone?) It would have been killer seeing a teenage Feldman return to kick Jason's ass all over again! I love you Thom but Feldman as weird as he can get nowadays, will and forever be the original Tommy Jarvis. 

2) Have it be Pam and Reggie that talk Tommy into going to the cemetery.
- In the real version Tommy drives out to the cemetery with his buddy to prove to himself that Jason is really truly dead. I think it would have been PERFECT to bridge between the films showing Pam and Reggie, now slightly older with a teenage Tommy to help him battle his demons. I would have Pam have some scars on her, driving the truck, with Tommy and Reggie riding shotgun not looking so sure. I would explain as they drive out that Tommy did attack Pam that night in the hospital but it was Pam who vouched for him, claiming he wasn't responsible and the copycat murders set him off, bringing back all that trauma. As a weird therapy she's deciding to break the law and take the two of them to the graveyard where they will all dig up Jason's corpse and help him see that Jason really is dead once and for all. (I feel this might have been the original plan had the actress who played Pam hadn't backed out.) I would have both brutally killed in front of Tommy who goes running after Jason has been brought back to life. 

3) Bring Trish back!!!
-  Trish was one of my favorite final girls in the entire series. She actually was pretty bad-ass after guilt got the best of her and she ran back the stairs to the basement after Rob was getting slaughtered. Remember that kids "He's killing me! He's killing me!" Trish from that point onward fights back like a complete boss, even throwing herself out of a second story window. What I love is how much she really fights back. She became legendary when she told Jason "I'm going to give you something to remember me by!" I think it would have been really clever had they somehow pulled some major strings and got this actress/character back to fight Jason right beside Tommy. Brother and sister duo kicking ass and taking names!!! 

4) Add in Jason's father!
- The original plan was the drunk who works in the cemetery was going to be revealed to be Jason's father. I think that would have been quite the cliffhanger, mostly if it showed him approaching the graves after Jason is destroyed in the lake. Maybe it could explain that Jason's entire family wasn't all "there" I mean why stop there!

5) Pull a fast one and make Paula the final girl.
- I really loved Megan. I mean between her sports car, and her falling backwards in the chair she was a riot. Still, Trish or no Trish idea...how badass would it have been if the entire movie you believe Megan will be the final girl to help Tommy and survive only to have her get butchered almost towards the end?! I really liked Paula (Jason certainly didn't, I mean did you see that cabin?!) I think it would have been really sweet to see her stop being so mousy and end up kicking some major ass side by side with Tommy revealing after Megan is killed that nobody is safe!

So thoughts? Happy Friday the 13th!







No comments:

Post a Comment