Wednesday, October 25, 2017

5 reasons why Jason Goes To Hell is a true all American classic.

5 reasons why Jason Goes To Hell is a true all American classic.

Home sick AGAIN! I'm spending this rainy October afternoon by watching AMC Fear Fest. I was pleasantly surprised when one of my all time favorite sequels from the series was announced to be coming up next.

Jason Goes To Hell The Final Friday.

I have defended this movie for years. In fact, I'm always delighted whenever it does air on TV since it truly is an often overlooked sequel in this very popular slasher series. I will agree, the films did begin to go downhill rather quickly. Still, you really have to admit after the mess of part 8 they at least tried something new. Today I'm here to explain five reasons on why this 9th entry is an all American Classic!

5) Adults fighting Jason.
- You really have to admit. At least this film tried to do something different. Part 8 changed up the setting, but it was the same tired storyline. Jason kills a bunch of teens. The End. With this movie we get adult characters all living in the Crystal Lake area fighting back against Jason. What's even cooler is the fact that 90% of the movie isn't actually Jason with his hockey mask. No, we get his evil spirit that is sorta like the slug from the movie The Hidden where he leaps from body to body and possesses them. I know this angered some fans, but at least it was something new! I think everyone in awhile it's good to try something fresh. This is a huge reason why this film always stood out to me as a kid.

4) Rich new backstory.
- Yeah, yeah I know. Jason's mother claimed that she only had "one child." Still, you never know. Maybe this was a daughter she had out of wedlock and gave up always thinking of it as a "bastard" child who she had no real connection. Or Maybe Jason's father had another family? One never knows. Still, I do like the idea of Jason having a sister/family. I really feel they could have expanded more on this storyline, but it was really interesting. I liked the whole bloodline thing and how only a member of Jason's family can truly send him to Hell. Just another reason why this movie doesn't take itself too seriously and have fun with itself. Another thing I liked was the backstory behind Jessica and Steven. We learn that Steven never truly grew out of his high school glory days (I mean the man still wears his football jacket which is a riot.) that he got his girlfriend pregnant and she lied about losing the baby and moved away feeling Steven wasn't ready to be a father. Truly interesting stuff that gets overlooked for a horror movie.

3) KNB effects!
- The boys over at KNB were on a roll in the late 80's and early to mid 90's when they were still all together. They seriously were cranking out one classic after another. This movie features some truly awesome gross scenes. The best is the unrated version. A huge reason why I didn't get that Friday the 13th blu-ray set that's now out of print is I heard this movie wasn't unrated. Really? Still there are countless scenes that are truly awesome. The guy who melts to the floor (love the shot of his jaw falling off!), The tent scene, or how about Jason himself?! Another reason why 90's horror rocked!!!

2) John D LeMay.
- I adore this man. I really do. I even named one of my dogs after him. John LeMay is best known for playing Ryan Dallion on Friday the 13th the series for two wonderful seasons. A few years later he appeared in an actual Friday the 13th film. He isn't classically handsome, or that big of a dude. Still, something about him is super charming. I find him very likable and attractive. He's like the everyday Joe of horror movies. In this movie he rocks some pretty awesome glasses, and kicks some major ass with Jason. I mean the guy jumps over handcuffs, gets his fingers broken, saves his estranged girlfriend, and is the only person to get into an actually punching fight with Jason and live to tell the tale. I have told so many people that LeMay is my #1 wishlist for meeting at a convention. I seriously think I would have a mental breakdown if I met him. Snot running down my face and everything.

1) The Ending!
- 3 cheers for one of the greatest endings ever to a horror movie. I seriously wish Freddy Vs Jason had even 1% of the energy and hype that this one thirty second scene held. I'm sure I'm speaking for anyone my age when they first watched this and seriously couldn't believe what they were witnessing. Here two horror icons came together in the best way possible. The 90's were a time to kill off these horror kings from the 80's. and this opened up a decade long wait with enough hype to kill any horror fan. Loved it!

3 cheers Jason Goes To Hell!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment