Sunday, October 21, 2012

Evil Dead remake thoughts...

Evil Dead remake thoughts...a blessing or a nightmare?

I think it's pretty clear how I feel about the Evil Dead series. I adore director Sam Raimi. In my eyes the man can do no wrong (yep, that's right even Spiderman 3) so of course I knew it was only a matter of time that his horror classic The Evil Dead would be one of the many remakes that are being rolled out. I knew it wouldn't be safe, I mean seriously almost every single horror movie has been remade so far. Some have been awesome, some have been awful. Now I'm sure I'll save my whole remake rant for another post, but I knew it was only a matter of time that this movie would be remade. I mean come on, they remade (and terribly for that matter) The Hitcher which is one of my all time favorite movies. If such an underrated movie like that got the remake treatment I knew that after Freddy, Jason, Michael, Leatherface were re visioned, so wouldn't the deadites.  


I really haven't been following the making of this film, all I did know was that Sam and Bruce were behind it saying that they would serve as producers and that they gave the movie their full blessing. Director Fede Alvarez took the wheel, and right away fans from all over began having second thoughts once the name Diablo Cody was dropped. I'll admit I sorta enjoyed Juno, but as soon as I watched Jennifer's Body I wanted to gag. No it wasn't because of Megan Fox...it was that fucking dialog. In Juno it was cute, in Jennifer it was forced and annoying. Sorry Cody but that isn't how people talk. It doesn't come off as slick and cool...it's forced and annoying. And what was Cody brought in for?

Yep, to help write dialog. 

FML

Just last week the trailer from the New York Comic Con leaked showing a slick horrifying look on what we're all going to witness this spring. A few images from the movie were dropped as well and after a Q&A with Bruce he said nothing but good things about the movie but admitted that until the day Sam dies he's going to be fighting to make an Evil Dead 4. Why not let this man have his wish? I'll admit it took me a while to sorta grow onto Drag Me To Hell, but I don't see that as his big comeback to horror. As much as Army nicely wrapped things up, I would still like to see what was up Raimi's sleeve for a forth round.


Many may argue that Dead By Dawn is a remake and I have to disagree. I see that as a sequel. It goes to show with the right budget and time the magic Raimi can do. I'm going to stay silent with my true thoughts of this remake until I actually see it. In fact this spring I'm treated to not only one remake, but two. I hate to say it but I'm more excited to see the Carrie remake than this. So I guess we'll see. Here is the link to the page which showed the trailer. What are your thoughts? A blessing or...a nightmare?

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/10/bootleg-evil-dead-trailer-is-bloody-blurry 

1 comment:

  1. "And what was Cody brought in for?

    Yep, to help write dialog.

    FML"

    Ha! I join in your collective groans...
    What, pray tell, is your final verdict on the film? Ach ya, or nish nish? Inquiring minds seek a sage opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete